Saturday, January 31, 2009

Haruki Murakami

My book group has the really cool idea of picking an author and then reading books by this author. (rather than picking one specific book)

I chose Murakami's recent memoir, "What I talk about when I talk about running." I had been wanting to read something by him for awhile now; ever since I skipped out on reading one of his books for my book group in Seattle last year. The Memoir is only 180 pages, and I read it in four sittings at Powell's books (which means that I basically paid for the book in latte fees :)

Murakami, a marathon runner, discusses his running habits, specific races that he has run in, and the relationship that running has to his writing and to life in general. He says that runners run in order to cope with the conflict that they feel in life. Murakami believes that “most of what I know about writing I’ve learned through running every day.” He also says that he wrote his first novel when he was 30; he had spent about 10 years working (owning) a bar in Japan, and gradually evolved into writing in general.

This guy has done some serious running. I think he's run somewhere around 24 marathons, and one time actually ran 62 miles in one day! Egad.

He's inspired me to get out my jogging shoes, although I don't know that I will see the day when I will run another marathon ;)

No comments

MegExpressions © - DESIGNED BY HERPARK