Sunday, January 24, 2010

Guiness Stout Ginger Cake

My sister Lizzy is pushing 25 and is living under the delusion that she is still a college freshman. She had a fun party this weekend way up at her house near University of Portland, and had me pick up some ping-pong balls for her on the way up.
She has a REALLY GREAT view from this place.....looking down on the Wilamette River towards the St. John's Bridge. I envy her, as I look out my apartment window onto a methodone clinic and burger king.
The party was a hit, thanks in part to one exceptionally intoxicated guest, who kept us entertained throughout the evening, with comments that I at first thought were funny but that Lizzy had to remind me really weren't ("It's not rape, it's surprise sex").

(This woman started drinking vodka alone in her house earlier in the evening, then tripped over a rose bush in her front yard and walked to the party. She introduced herself to me by saying "Hi, I'm a bitch" and then she picked up one of my lovely litte Guiness Stout Cakes and licked the top of it.)

Which finally brings me to the point of this entry: I baked Guiness Stout Ginger Cakes for the party. I found the recipe in the paper (Oregonian Supplemental) sometime before Christmas, and the ingredients have been sitting around my kitchen for the past 6-7 weeks just waiting for the right occasion.

The cakes turned out pretty well, although I wouldn't have known from the taste that it has Guinness inside. Also, I used a fraction of the ginger that the recipe calls for (1 teaspoon rather than 2 T) but I DID use the fresh ginger; highly recommend that you use as well...

Guiness Stout Ginger Cake

1 cup Guinness stout
1 cup molasses
1/2 T baking soda
3 eggs
1/2 c. white sugar
1/2 c. brown sugar
3/4 cup vegetable oil
2 cups flour
2 T ginger
1-1/2 t. baking power
3/4 t. cinnamon
1/4 t. cloves
1/4 t. nutmeg
1 T peeled and grated fresh ginger (be sure to use this....it makes it really good!)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour several small cake pans (like in picture below).
In large saucepan over high heat combine beer and molasses and bring to a boil. Turn off heat and add the baking soda. Allow to sit until the foam dissipates.
Meanwhile, in a bowl, whisk together the eggs and both sugars. Whisk in the oil.
In a seperate bowl, whisk together the flour, ground ginger, baking powder, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg.
Combine the stout mixture with the egg mixture, then whisk this liquid into the flour mixture, half at a time. Add the fresh ginger and stir to combine.
Pour the bater into the loaf pan and bake for 1 hour, or until the top springs back when gently pressed. Do not open the oven until the gingerbread is almost done, or the center may fall slightly. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.

This is good but it is NOT low calorie!!!
MegExpressions © - DESIGNED BY HERPARK