Saturday, March 20, 2010

Coconut Refrigerator Roll



My roommate is having a party tonight which has given us the awesome opportunity to get this place cleaned up a little bit. We've been doing 'deep cleaning' (or she has mostly, anyway) and not the more superficial kind that we usually do.

It's a joint birthday party for my roommate and her friend (although I just discovered that her friend's birthday is in August, so maybe this is more of just a party, I don't know).

I decided that my contribution would be a coconut refrigerator roll! I found the recipe on the back of my bag of coconut. Just finished making it and had a little tasty and it is pretty GOOD! If you like graham crackers and coconut I bet that you will like this desert!

Here's the ingredients (and I recommend that you make this with heavy whipping cream like the recipe suggests and don't try and use fat free milk or something to cut down on calories.......that would be bad. If you are on a diet just don't make this desert and make something else, because it just wouldn't taste the same with fat free or 2% milk.)

Coconut Refrigerator Roll

3/4 Cup heavy cream
1 t. vanilla
1/2 cup marshmallows, finely cut or sliced
2 cups Graham Cracker Crumbs, crushed
1 cup flake coconut
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
3 T Maraschino cherries, chopped
1/2 cup flake coconut
1/3 cup walnuts, chopped
1/2 cup whipping cream, whipped

Combine first seven ingredients in mixing bowl and work with hands into a firm ball.
The easiest way, I found, to crush graham crackers was to put them into a plastic zip-lock bag!!!

I found that it is very hard to slice marshmallows and so I just had to tear them into tiny pieces.



Shape in a roll 6 inches long (I actually made my roll much longer and thinner). On a sheet of wax paper, mix 1/2 cup flake coconut and 1/3 cup chopped walnuts (or you can do this on a cutting board like i did). Coat roll by rolling and pressing into coconut-walnut mixture. It takes a little while for the coconut to absorb.
Wrap in wax paper and refrigerate for 12 hours. Makes 12 (1/2 inch) slices. Top with whip cream to serve!

YUMMY~no baking required!!
MegExpressions © - DESIGNED BY HERPARK