Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Republican Lawmaker Looking out for the Little Guy


The Sunday Oregonian ran an article titled "Lawmaker would revive dwarf-tossing"

Republican lawmaker Ritch Workman of Miami, Florida aims to undo a ban on dwarf-tossing, a practice common at bars in the 80s of throwing a dwarf wearing protective gear.  His rationale is to create jobs for dwarfs in this sinking economy.
Critics of dwarf tossing claim that it is both dangerous and inhumane to toss a dwarf for play, which is why it was banned in 1989.

I am pleased to see that the Oregonian is taking note of this significant and controversial issue, and is willing to openly discuss its pros and cons.

One critical point that this article never raises, however, is that of employment equality.  Take somebody like myself; 5'2" and 128 pounds on my better days; now could I ever get a job being tossed to and fro in a bar?  Not on my life!  And for the simple reason that I am way too huge for this line of work.

 This is sheer unfairness, no matter how you decide to look at it.   

No comments

MegExpressions © - DESIGNED BY HERPARK